Friday, March 27, 2009

Building a library

Today we had an excursion out to run errands - donning the riot gear to go grocery shopping at the Commissary, dropping off the NetFlix at the post office and going to Half Price Books to take advantage of their killer coupon sale and get Eirik a copy of Green Eggs and Ham:

I loved this book when I was little. The adventures of a picky eater trying a bizarre new food with an infectious rhyme scheme had me begging anyone to read this book that I could convince, and is still one of my favorites.


Here's a little history behind Green Eggs and Ham, courtesy of Wikipedia:

Green Eggs and Ham is one of Seuss's "Beginner Books", written in a very simple vocabulary for beginning readers. The vocabulary of the text consists of just fifty different words, of which 49 are monosyllabic (the one exception being "anywhere"). It averages 5.7 words per sentence and 1.02 syllables per word.

Bennett Cerf, Dr. Seuss's publisher, wagered $50 that Seuss could not write a book using only fifty different words. The bet came after Seuss completed The Cat in the Hat, which used 225 words.

And there's even a Spanish version of Green Eggs and Ham that I read in one of my Spanish classes:


How cool is that?

No comments: